No-Till Talk
No-Till Talk
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When men exercise their reason coolly and freely on a variety of distinct questions, they inevitably fall into different opinions on some of them. When they are governed by a common passion, their opinions, if they are to be called, will be the same. ~ Alexander Hamilton
- (Added by: W Guenther NeNE)

How many acres can you get out of a planter
Moderators: notill89, Administrator

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   No-Till Discussions -> No-Till Equipment TalkMessage format

mtoms
Posted 2/17/2008 2:56 PM (#1309)
Subject: How many acres can you get out of a planter

Hello all. Just wondering how many acres you guys can get out of a no till corn planter before you need to overhaul it. We get about 600 acres on our 7200 jd 6 row and it is shot by then. I just think that it should last longer. I was thinking if I upgraded to the 3.5 mm discs I could get a few more acres out of it . Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Todd in sc KS
Posted 2/19/2008 7:04 AM (#1321 - in reply to #1309)
Subject: RE: How many acres can you get out of a planter

When I was custom planting more I was covering 1400-2400 acres per year, I averaged right about 2000 acres. Maybe 500 acres of that were tilled, but a majority was no-till. I am guessing that you do not have coulters in front of your openers. That is fine, and according to some a better option than having coulters. I'm guessing that because I would put two years on my openers. I would usually fall within the "allowed" 1/2" of wear off of new. At about three to four years I had to replace the coulters. (I probably should have done it sooner as I hadn't kept them adjusted properly and they were too high.) I was more concerned with wear on seed tubes, and tube guards. I have since gone with the R-K seed tube guard, and I have switched to JD's heavy blade and double bearing. I have a White 6180 so all I had to do was get a longer bolt. We only put about 500 acres on the planter last year, as a lot of people had mostly wheat, and the weather we just couldn't get into the few fields we did have on the list. (They were tilled). Mine is a 12 row planter, so I think your 600 may be a bit on the low side, but may not be far off.

Todd Miller
Jim C
Posted 2/21/2008 5:08 PM (#1351 - in reply to #1321)

Todd in sc KS - 2/19/2008 7:04 AM

When I was custom planting more I was covering 1400-2400 acres per year, I averaged right about 2000 acres. Maybe 500 acres of that were tilled, but a majority was no-till. I am guessing that you do not have coulters in front of your openers. That is fine, and according to some a better option than having coulters. I'm guessing that because I would put two years on my openers. I would usually fall within the "allowed" 1/2" of wear off of new. At about three to four years I had to replace the coulters. (I probably should have done it sooner as I hadn't kept them adjusted properly and they were too high.) I was more concerned with wear on seed tubes, and tube guards. I have since gone with the R-K seed tube guard, and I have switched to JD's heavy blade and double bearing. I have a White 6180 so all I had to do was get a longer bolt. We only put about 500 acres on the planter last year, as a lot of people had mostly wheat, and the weather we just couldn't get into the few fields we did have on the list. (They were tilled). Mine is a 12 row planter, so I think your 600 may be a bit on the low side, but may not be far off.

Todd Miller[/QUOTE]

Todd,
Where did you get the R-K seed tube guard?
W Guenther NeNE
Posted 2/21/2008 5:53 PM (#1353 - in reply to #1351)

R K Products, Inc.
3802 Jean Street
East Moline, IL 61244
Phone
309-792-1927
800-580-6818
http://www.rkproducts.com/

Sorry not Todd but I have used the rk products on our white 6100 planter and work great.
As for the opening discs we maybe support our local Agco dealer too much but they are with in 5 miles of home where as deere is 30 miles and with seed tube guard I believe that bearings last longer since hardly any blade flexing.

Will post some pics

Edited by W Guenther NeNE 2/21/2008 5:56 PM

(03-11-07_1810 (Medium).jpg)

(03-11-07_1809 (Medium).jpg)

(03-25-07_1715 (Medium).jpg)

(03-25-07_1735 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 03-11-07_1810 (Medium).jpg (64KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 03-11-07_1809 (Medium).jpg (86KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 03-25-07_1715 (Medium).jpg (63KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments 03-25-07_1735 (Medium).jpg (63KB - 4 downloads)
brad c
Posted 2/22/2008 1:50 PM (#1362 - in reply to #1351)
Subject: Re: How many acres can you get out of a planter

Very nice William!!

Could you post pics of your Gandy box metering system. I think you posted it before on agtalk.
Jim C
Posted 2/22/2008 3:00 PM (#1366 - in reply to #1309)

William,
Thanks for the pictures, I can now see what people are referring to when they talk about the seed tube guard. The seed tube just fits inside the rectangular tube, correct? What is the black piece that is riveted to the bottom, is that a replaceable wear plate of some sort? Will this accept any type of seed tube, regardless of brand?
thanks,
Jim
cfredincOK
Posted 2/23/2008 12:20 PM (#1377 - in reply to #1366)

Jim,

If I am looking at that pic right. the tube guard is much the same as the ones we have been using that wear so fast. Shoup carries them as well as most parts houses. The hardened piece is that black piece which sacrifices itself at a much slower pace than those gold colored ears that protect the actual seed tube. The entire piece is planter specific, so they will ask what planter you are running and send you the entire apparatus to bol on to your shank. At $48, I would think there is more to it than just adding the little black hardened chunk to our existing protectors.

BTW, thanks for the email pics

Cary
mtoms
Posted 2/23/2008 1:00 PM (#1378 - in reply to #1377)

Thanks for the info. I called Rk products and this guy is really far behind. Guess I will be running the OEM guard this year. It has been very frustrating no tilling because of the equipment is not adequate. When is someone going to step up to the plate and develop a true no till machine. When I purchased my planter brand new from Deere we were in the shop the first day modifying it. Not much no till in my area and I blame this on lack of equipment to do the job properly. I do some custom work and people complain about there yields and I tell them that the must actually plant the seed not broadcast it. Because that is what most do just run the seed on top the ground.
cfredincOK
Posted 2/23/2008 1:18 PM (#1379 - in reply to #1378)

Matt,

Anudder question. I am doing some corn on corn this year. Have had martin trash whippers for quite a while, but have removed them last year or so, as have not seen the need in overwintered wheat/DC bean stubble or even DC beans into wheat. A good sharp disc has usually done quite well. Neighbor came by the other day and questioned why I was putting whippers back on. We just finished picking some late corn January 25th, and there is quite a bit of trash and cobs between rows. I felt it would keep the units running much smoother moving trash/cobs out of way than to leave them there. He only has coulters on his planter, and feels it should do the job. I know we will both keep what we have until we see the need for out operation to change, but so you feel my logic is in the right place here? Gage wheels would in my opinion, hop over cobs and larger stalks and affect seed depth, whereas getting them brushed aside would keep seed depth more consistant.
Jim C
Posted 2/23/2008 1:49 PM (#1380 - in reply to #1366)

Cary,
For what its worth, I agree with your logic!(lol) Row cleaners would certainly get the cobs out of the way, which would do as you wanting,,,,,,,gauge wheels run smoother, seed depth should be more consistent.
cfredincOK
Posted 2/23/2008 2:02 PM (#1381 - in reply to #1380)

Also changing my cleaner perspective. I have been experimenting with different configurations of the spikes. Some run in same hole on each side of bracket but do not intersect in front, some do intersect. A few I had set back on one side and one set forward on other side to offset completely. I have had far less plug-ups with the offset setup and am changing them all this year.

Also looking for some more corn seed for DC behind wheat. Beans are hard enough to find and about the same price as corn to put out the way I'm gonna be doin' it. As late as mine was planted this year and remember, it wasn't really DC but actually replant, it average 70 bpa. I was happy with the result. Will try to get in three weeks earlier than the July 24th date I ended up with this past summer.

I have been proud as punch with my DC soy plant dates in the past and still can't seem to break 10-15 bpa. My DC soys thies year are still in the field, didn't get tall enough to harvest, but corn beat it all. I'll try DC corn until I stub my toe on that I guess.
brad c
Posted 2/24/2008 5:40 PM (#1386 - in reply to #1377)

The flanges that extend back from the wear plates is just to help keep the tube centered more than anything - they do add some protection but that isn't their main purpose imo.

As far as the wear plates are concerned, there is nothing on the market to my knowledge that will even come close to wearing like these things do. We would wear a 'new' oem type guard out in less than 30 row unit acres - our RK's have seen over 350 row unit acres and they look like they did when we put them on (in fact we took them off and they will go on the new planter when it gets here).

These things are the cat's meow!
matt hagny
Posted 2/25/2008 10:25 AM (#1389 - in reply to #1381)

One of the holdups at R-K is they're changing from the floating wear plates (as shown in Wm's pic) to a rigid design, which is actually a reversion to what they were testing back in '02 or so. There apparently were some problems sourcing the material for the rigid type this winter, which is different from what the floating type were made of. The rigid type will have equivalent wear to the floating wear plates, but is a different manufacturing process.

If you need something to run this year and are unwilling to wait on R-K, the next best thing would be to take some worn OEM guards and rebuild them with weld, which will be considerably harder than the cast material. You will need to smooth the weld out so that it doesn't wear grooves into the blade. Build up the guard until it is 15/16" wide, as the OEM is when new.

cfred,

You are correct in your thinking on row cleaners. Don't try to move too much residue, which is a common mistake. Row cleaners should only move 30 - 50% of residue, basically just kicking some of the big clumps out of the way.
notillgleaner
Posted 2/25/2008 6:52 PM (#1392 - in reply to #1386)

Are the seed tube gaurds available or necesary on the 3000 series Kinzes? The web site doesn't even show them. Not sure how fast mine are wearing out. Just replace them when I do the discs.
TGC
Posted 2/25/2008 11:30 PM (#1397 - in reply to #1381)

cfred,
Look out for southern corn rust as it has been very hard on our dc-corn the last two years. Most producers that I know of used a fungicide on late corn last year. We used Quilt on Irrigated dc-corn and had to follow up with Tilt 3 weeks later. That southern corn rust is one nasty dude.
matt hagny
Posted 2/26/2008 5:51 AM (#1399 - in reply to #1397)

Yes, the R-K guards fit the Kinze 3000 and are needed for many NT soils. The R-K site doesn't show the guard because it hasn't been released in an 'official' production version, even though there are hundreds of the floating wear pad guards out there. I would expect by late '08 it will be promoted and advertised.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: No-Till On The Plains
(Delete all cookies set by this site)